Maple Chipotle Steak Taco
Courtesy of Vermont Public Television
1 small red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 cup pure Vermont Grade B Maple Syrup
2 Tablespoon chipotle puree (see note)
1 pound skirt steak or other thin steak
1. Heat oil in sauce pan on medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft but not browned. Add
vinegar and let cook for several minutes.
2. Add maple syrup and cook for two minutes.
3. Transfer to a food processor and add the chipotle puree. Puree the mixture until smooth. Place half
of the maple-chipotle mixture with the steak in a shallow dish or sealable plastic bag and let sit for one
hour. Reserve the remaining maple-chipotle mixture.
4. Light a grill or heat a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Cook the steak for several minutes on
each side until done and transfer to a cutting board. Chop the meat finely.
5. Serve with tortillas, shredded cabbage, black beans, and cheese. Use reserved maple-chipotle
mixture as a sauce if desired.
Note: Chipotle puree can be made by pureeing a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, commonly found in the Latin American food section of most supermarkets. The pureed sauce can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several months.