Job: Communications Manager
Organizational Description: The Vermont Maple Sugar Makers’ Association (VMSMA) is a non-profit agricultural membership organization organized in 1893. Located in Vermont, it is one of the oldest agricultural organizations in the United States. The organization works to use its collective purchasing power to provide a variety of benefits for its members. VMSMA’s mission is to protect the tradition of maple sugaring while maintaining the highest standards of production and product quality; to identify and study problems and issues that relate to the industry and to set in motion actions to resolve these; to provide educational programming and materials to the general public and the agricultural community with regard to current information, research and advancements relating to maple and maple production; and coordinate industry wide marketing and promotional efforts to support the Vermont Maple Brand, as well as encouraging greater use of Vermont produced and packed maple products within the State as well as in outside markets.
Position Summary: The Communications Manager will play a key role in VMSMA operations through a range of creative, administrative, and technical tasks. The Communications Manager works closely with the Executive Director and is an active participant in association outreach, planning and communications.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Copy edit, proofread, and revise communications to membership and public
- Assist with planning and coordination of workshops, events and conferences
- Contribute to quarterly print newsletter
- Assist with drafting and sending press releases
- Deliver content via Facebook, Instagram, website, blog, email, and direct mail
- Process membership and event registrations
- Maintain membership and events database
- Assist association committees.
- Answer phone calls and inquiries from membership.
- Coordinate with external warehouse and vendors managing products and supplies such as brochures, maple syrup grading tools, etc.
- Attend meetings of the Board of Directors and other association committees.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Requirements:
- Five years professional experience
- Expertise with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and Word
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign a plus
- Understanding of MODX or similar content management systems a plus
- Experience supervising volunteers a plus
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner and without daily supervision
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Commitment to innovation and collaboration
- Understanding of agriculture and the role of farming in the local community
- Ability to travel to bi-weekly meetings with association staff in the Burlington area
Resumes will be accepted until August 10th. This is a Year-round, full-time position based on a 40-hour, Monday – Friday work week with occasional weeknight and weekend travel occurring outside traditional work hours. The salary is in keeping with non-profit pay scales and is commensurate with experience. The VMSMA is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and (3) professional references to email@example.com. Questions can be addressed to Executive Director Amanda Voyer at 802-858-9444.
Principals only, no recruiters please