Courtesy of Mary and Sarah Schreindorfer and Vermont Public
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups pure Vermont Maple Syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 – 9 in unbaked pie shell
- In a heavy saucepan, wisk together cream and flour until smooth.
- Add maple syrup, butter and pepper.
- Cook stirring over medium heat for 10 minutes or until thickened. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Pour filling into pie shell and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes or until bubbling.
- Cool on a rack and then refrigerate until thoroughly cooled before serving.
A fruity red wine and Vermont maple syrup give these poached pears a depth of flavor that you expect from both Vermont maple syrup and Pinot Noir.